Saturday, August 14, 2010

Race Ya'

I had debated all week whether to race the Hammond Half or to run it with my sister. As is evident from previous posts, my competitive side comes out during races. I enjoy seeing how far and how fast I can push myself; testing my physical and metal limits. Even though I've done races with Bren and other friends, I usually end up running by myself. Perhaps it was time I try something new. The debate ended as I turned down Bren's street Friday night. I thought about how much I like my sister and enjoy being around her. If I didn't run the race with her then I wouldn't get to see her much before heading back home after the race. When I discovered that Bren really wasn't looking forward to the race--she said, "Not one ounce of my body wants to do this"--I was even more determined to stay with her and have it be a positive experience. And it was. We set an 8:30 pace early on and stuck to it, slowing a bit around miles 10 and 11. During the last mile I tried to pick up the pace so we'd finish strong. Bren resisted a little but hung with me. When the finish line was about 50 yards in front of us, I looked at Bren and jokingly said, "Race ya'". To my surprise she took off sprinting! I didn't know she had all that energy left! I was too shocked to go after her, plus I was laughing too hard. Fortunately she slowed just before the finish line so we crossed it together. Next time I'll make her run a little faster.

Bren speeding ahead to the finish.
We were both laughing and it looks like we're having fun.

Here we are still cracking up while I relate the story of Bren's finish to Neil, her fiance, who took pictures of us along the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment