Friday, September 18, 2009

Running Wild

It's been over a month since I almost stepped on this during an early morning run.Fortunately it was dead or else I would have been in a world of hurt. It wasn't far from the ranch either which made it easy to go back and take a picture.

In San Leandro I was cautious of other people while running, they seemed to be the only real threat. Here, I've been most concerened with the wild animals. A few weeks ago Peter drove me up river for a long run home. On the way we saw a herd of elk cross the road. Two weeks ago, on another long run, a big bear crossed the road less than 75 yards ahead of me. I was near my turning point and thought about turning around then but instead I waited until I was conviced that he was far enough up the hill to pose any threat, and I kept going.

Last Saturday I ran 20 miles on Indian Creek Road, which doesn't have much of a shoulder and is somewhat residential. I realized then that unleashed dogs, especially pit bulls, and careless drivers are more likely to hurt me than a wild animal.

Unfortunately none of these runs are suitable for an ipod so instead of listening to music, I think about blogging my experiences. Which is why I've decided to start a blog about running: it will give me something to think about while running.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I cannot wait to hear your experiences. I tried jogging our 1st week out here and my lungs were on fire!! I probably got about 1/4 of a mile before it felt like they would explode. So I am going to dust off the treadmill and work in intervals to train my lungs for out here. Hopefully they will be okay before there is snow all along the ground!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I'm trying to get more consistent again! You are a total inspiration!

    ReplyDelete